This is one of my staple dinners as it is super tasty, very filling, quick and pretty cheap to make because you can vary the ingredients you put in it.
- 500g of skinless chicken thighs (but you can use pork or beef or lamb too!)
- 1 large red onion
- 1 large or 2 medium leeks
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- 1 medium courgette
- 250g fresh baby spinach
- 5-6 button mushrooms (optional)
- 3 tablespoons of Sainsburys Garam Masala spice
- 250ml coconut cream
- Salt & pepper
- Olive oil
- Chop up all the veg and the meat into chunks as big and thick as half your thumb.
- Take a big saucepan, add the meat, onion, leek, a splash of olive oil, the Garam Masala spice and salt & pepper.
- Fry it for about 5 minutes then add the courgette and crushed garlic cloves.
- When the meat looks like it is about 85% done, add the mushroom if you are using any, as well as the coconut cream.
- Stir well and let it cook for about 15 minutes.
- Taste carefully after 15 minutes and add any extra seasoning if needed plus the baby spinach.
- Stir until the spinach looks done (should take 1-2 minutes) and then the dish is ready to serve.
We usually have this dish with cooked brown rice, but if you add more vegetables or more meat, you could have it just on it’s own as well.
The only ingredients you really need in this dish is the meat, the onion & leek, the Garam Masala spice & the coconut cream – so feel free to experiment with different meats and green veg if you want, I usually try to go for whatever is on offer.
You can also try adding some red lentils, sweet potato or butternut squash – they are great replacements for rice!