Stuffed butternut squash
This is a dish that I made BEFORE I found out that I was allergic to tomato and peppers – so since then I have altered the recipe not to include these things. But I do admit that it tasted amazing with those ingredients so to honour the pic, that is the version I will be sharing.
- 1 decent sized butternut squash
- 1 big courgette
- 1 big red onion
- 1 red or yellow pepper
- 1/3 of a package of feta
- 200g cherry tomatoes
- Handful of pine nuts
- Fresh basil
- Handful of breadcrumbs
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Cut the butternut squash in half, take out the seeds in the middle with a spoon and drizzle over some oil oil plus salt and pepper. Put on a tray and put in the middle of the oven
- Chop the courgette, onion, pepper and tomatoes in equal chunky pieces (more or less having the thickness as one of your fingers!)
- Drizzle some olive oil in a pan and fry the courgette, onion and pepper
- When they look about 3/4 done, add some salt & pepper, a handful of fresh basil, the pine nuts and the tomatoes.
- Fry until the tomatoes have gone soft but still keeping their shape.
- Take off the stove and leave it there until the buttnernut squash is about 10-15 minutes away from being done (this will depend on the size of it and how good your oven is, but usually it takes around 45-60 minutes for it to be done, so take it out after about 35-45 min)
- When the butternut squash is almost done, take it out of the oven and add your veg mix in the “hole” of the butternut squash (where you took out the seeds)
- Crumble your feta all over the veg mix and sprinkle a bit of breadcrumbs over the veg & feta mix
- Put your tray back into the over and bake for another 10-15 minutes
- Take out the oven and EAT!